Manuscripts in Review (with Preprints):
2) Nikunj Goel., Vishwesha Guttal, Simon A Levin and Carla Staver (2018). Dispersal increases the resilience of tropical savanna and forest distributions. bioRxiv, 476184.
1) Sumithra Sankaran, Sabiha Majumder, Ashwin Viswanathan and Vishwesha Guttal, Clustering and correlations: Inferring resilience from spatial patterns in ecosystems, bioRxiv. Data and codes. In Review.
1) Jitesh Jhawar, Richard Morris, and Vishwesha Guttal, 2019, Deriving mesoscopic models of collective behaviour for finite populations, In Handbook of Statistics Vol 40: Integrated Population Biology and Modeling (edited by Arni Srini Rao and C R Rao), Part B, 551-594. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.host.2018.10.002; Pre-print from Arxiv; Codes and data on GitHub. Download PDF
29) Majumder, Sabiha, Krishnapriya Tamma, Sriram Ramaswamy, and Vishwesha Guttal. Inferring critical thresholds of ecosystem transitions from spatial data. Accepted, Ecology.
28) Gokul Nair, Athmanathan Senthilnathan, Srikanth Iyer, and Vishwesha Guttal, 2019, Fission-fusion dynamics and group-size dependent composition in heterogeneous populations, Physical Review E, 99, 032412, arXiv:1711.06882 [nlin.AO], Data and codes, Download PDF.
26) Alexandre Genin, Sabiha Majumder, Sumithra Sankaran, Alain Danet, Vishwesha Guttal, Florian Schneider, Sonia Kefi, 2018, Monitoring ecosystem degradation using spatial data and the R package spatialwarnings, Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 9: 2067-2075, Download PDF
25) Hari Sridhar and Vishwesha Guttal, 2018, Friendship across species borders: factors that facilitate and constrain heterospecific sociality, Phil. Trans. Royal Society of London B, 373: 20170014. Download PDF
Costs and benefits: Why birds of a feather sometimes don’t flock together in Indian Express, by Amitabh Sinha
Friends without Borders, in Deccan Herald, by Annie Megan Santamaria
ಜಾತಿಭೇದವಿಲ್ಲದ ಪ್ರಾಣಿ ಪ್ರಪಂಚ, in Prajaavaani, by Gubbi-Labs
24) Alexandre Génin*, Sabiha Majumder*, Sumithra Sankaran*, Florian D Schneider, Alain Danet, Miguel Berdugo, Vishwesha Guttal, Sonia Kefi, 2018, Indicators of regime shifts in ecological systems with spatially heterogeneous stressors, Ecological Indicators, 94:520-533 Download PDF (*These authors contributed equally to this work).
23) Sumithra Sankaran*, Sabiha Majumder*, Sonia Kefi, Vishwesha Guttal, 2018, Implications of being discrete and spatial for detecting early warning signals of regime shifts, Ecological Indicators, 94:503-511 Download PDF (*These authors contributed equally to this work).
22) Chen Ning, Kailiang Yu, C Jayaprakash, Vishwesha Guttal, 2018, Rising variability, not slowing down, as a leading indicator of a stochastically driven abrupt transition in a dryland ecosystem, The American Naturalist, 191: E1 E14, Data and Codes via Dryad. Download PDF (Maintext and SI).There is also a Lay summary.
Changes in dryland ecosystems, in Deccan Herald by Suma M of Gubbi Labs.
21) Jaideep Joshi, Iain D Couzin, Simon A Levin, Vishwesha Guttal, 2017, Mobility can promote the evolution of cooperation via emergent self-assortment dynamics, PLoS Computational Biology. 13(9):e1005732. Download PDF.
20) Stephanie Eby*, Amit Agrawal*, Sabiha Majumder, Andew Dobson and Vishwesha Guttal, 2017, Alternative stable states and spatial indicators of critical slowing down along a spatial gradient in a savanna ecosystem, Global Ecology and Biogeography, 26: 638-649; Codes and Data are available on Github. Download PDF (*These authors contributed equally to this work).
Highlights: This publication was featured with a front cover image.
19) Vishwesha Guttal, Srinivas Raghavendran, Nikunj Goel, and Quentin Hoarau. 2016, Lack of Critical Slowing Down Suggests that Financial Meltdowns Are Not Critical Transitions, yet Rising Variability Could Signal Systemic Risk, PLoS ONE, 11(1): e0144198. Download PDF
Highlights: This publication was covered by Natura Asia with an article titled “Ecological science theory analyses stock market crashes”
17) Sonia Kefi*, Vishwesha Guttal*, William A Brock, Stephen R Carpenter, Aaron M Ellison, Valerie N Livina, David A Seekel, Marten Scheffer, Egbert H van Nes, Vasilis Dakos, 2014, Early warning signals of ecological transitions: Methods for spatial patterns, PLoS ONE 9(3): e92097. (*These authors contributed equally to this work). Download PDF.
16) Vishwesha Guttal*, C. Jayaprakash*, Omar P. Tabbaa*, 2013, Robustness of early warning signals of regime shifts in time-delayed ecological models, Theoretical Ecology, 6:271-283. (*All authors contributed equally to this manuscript and the names are listed in alphabetical order). PDF
15) A. Catherine Markham, Vishwesha Guttal, Susan C Alberts, Jeanne Altmann. 2013, When good neighbors don’t need fences: Temporal landscape partitioning among baboon social groups, Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. 67:875-884. PDF.
13) Vishwesha Guttal*, Pawel Romanczuk*, Stephen J Simpson, Gregory A Sword, Iain D Couzin, 2012, Cannibalism as a driver of the evolution of phase polyphenism in locusts, Ecology Letters, Vol 15:1158-1166 [*co-first authors]. PDF.
12) Vasilis Dakos, Stephen R. Carpenter, William A. Brock, Aaron M. Ellison, Vishwesha Guttal, Anthony R. Ives, Sonia Kefi, Valerie Livina, David A. Seekell, Egbert H. van Nes, Marten Scheffer, 2012, Methods for detecting early warnings of critical transitions in time series: Illustrated using simulated ecological data, PLoS ONE. 7(7): e41010. PDF
11) Vishwesha Guttal, Frederick Bartumeus, Gregg Hartvigsen, Andrew Nevai, 2011. Variability in seed retention time as a mechanism for animal mediated long distance dispersal, PLoS ONE 6(12): e28447. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0028447. PDF
9) Vishwesha Guttal, Iain D. Couzin, 2010, Social interactions, information use and the evolution of collective migration, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA. 107:16172-16177. PDF. Also see: Movies 1 and 2.
Highlight: Faculty of 1000 Biology
Highlight: Virtual Journal of Biological Physics
2) Vishwesha Guttal, David Stroud, 2005, “A model for a Macroscopically Disordered Conductor with an Exactly Linear High-Field Magnetoresistance “, Physical Review B (Rapid Communications) 71, 201304 (2005).PDF
1) Debashish Chowdhury, Vishwesha Guttal, Katsuhiro Nishinari and Andreas Schadschneider, 2002, “A Cellular Automata model of flow in ant-trails: non-monotonic variation of speed with density”, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General: 35, L575-L577 (2002). PDF.
4) Vishwesha Guttal, “Discovering facts: Finding the longest day with school children”, Resonance, March 2015,. Resonance. Vol 20:254-259. PDF.
3) Vishwesha Guttal, Ecology: From Individuals to Collectives. A physicist’s perspective on ecology. 2014, Resonance, Vol. 19:368-375. PDF.
2) Vishwesha Guttal, “YETI in Guwahati”, Current Science, 2012, Vol 102:1357-1359. PDF.
1) Vishwesha Guttal, “A brief introduction to the philosophy of science”, Purnapramati School Souvenir, Jan, 2012. PDF.